In 1946, Fritz Rihs founded a small job-order workshop in Bern. However, when the company premises had to make way for new road construction, the company founder moved to Pieterlen in 1955. Together with approx. six employees, universal tool grinding machines, cable rewinding and length measurement devices as well as parts and components were produced by way of contract manufacturing.
In 1985, Fritz Rihs sold his company to Hermann Sollberger from Thurgau. The company was continually expanded to become a state-of-the-art production plant while offices and assembly rooms were set up in the former residental building. In 1991, a further floor was added to the residental building. When the manufacturing premises had finally outgrown the limited space available, a generous building extension was practically built overnight in merely four months offering an effective area of 800 sqm. By the end of 1995, production could finally leave the old premises and move to the modern and bright new building.
In 2010, Hermann Sollberger withdrew from the operative business of Rihs Maschinenbau AG. However, he continues to contribute his vast knowledge and competence to the company as the former’s owner and Chairman.
In 2012, the business segment of cable rewinding devies was sold to Messrs. BW Service AG in Utzenstorf.
The company continued to focus on the care and sustainability of their own products and increasingly on job order production.